Monday, 18 May 2009

peace and one nation lu..

Heard about it at work, I didn’t feel a thing. Went and checked the news online and even with the newsflash with a huge picture of the man himself right in front of me, I felt this awkwardness, slight uncomfortableness. Should I be celebrating something? At home right now, went through a bit of local news on tv, heard about all the ‘events’ from several sources and I still feel the same. I don’t understand the crackers or all the jubilant fb status updates. Rather I can’t relate to them. And I can’t place this feeling. Does this hesitant feeling label an unpatriotic? They say it’s over, but why don’t I feel it’s over? The doubt. Fuelled by years of conditioning, has it rendered me feelingless or is this apathy at its core?

Plus how can we be lighting crackers, dancing around when they are several hundred thousands of people only with the clothing in their body suffering up north?

I don’t want to be an armchair politician. I don’t even talk about this with anyone yet alone assert any opinion. Just penning down my thoughts at a day our country declared the bloodshed is over. Whether it’s really over from today, we will only know with time.

The barricades will have to come down. The divisions of a them and us in paper and in mind, will have to dissolve and everyone should be able to treat everyone else with dignity, trust and respect. And all those people who have suffered at both ends?, the real challenge would be winning them over. Wining their hearts and minds to put the past behind and live together in peace. I think I will feel truly a one nation, when I see this happening..

14 comments:

T said...

my thoughts exactly.

Bimmy said...

It's a relief than joy. Death should not be celebrated, but then again his crimes are unforgivable.

I just hope a lasting solution is found so that such a lunatic doesn't come up ever again.

Anonymous said...

glad to see my emotions are shared. terrorism cannot prevail, but the loss of life was terrible loss to pay for it, and let's hang our heads in silence as we move on from this tragic 30 years.

the7thp said...

I was thinking the same as you did... I saw all the excitement in the roads.. all the flags and I asked myself am I to solute our soldiers??

I wrote a blog post on this which I would like you to check out!

Cheers!

Gehan said...

hey spice.. it seems we're not alone in this regard.. even i was wondering if perhaps i am being unpatriotic or watever...

the uneasiness is.. disturbing, isnt it?

Suri said...

I was just about to write a post along the same lines, but I'm glad I checked what was on Kottu first.

I just cannot bring myself to celebrate it, because I know I wouldn't made the sacrifices people up north were forced to make just so everyone else in the country could drink champagne and light crackers.

Dee said...

I think all we have known is terror. and peace is just surreal...

Rine said...

Came across this and wasn't sure whether you just read my thoughts! Was/am feeling restless the whole day and so disturbed by the lighting of crackers and thought i'll be considered a traitor if i voiced these words!

But thats bc we ve been fed this hype that to speak away from public opinion is unpatriotic, its not, its realistic. And I'm so glad there are ppl like you who feel the same way. There's hope for this country yet.

Amen about the FB statuses btw. Some of those people forgot there was a war going on most of the time.

Anonymous said...

I'm another one on this boat.

I feel uneasy and I'll second what DeeCee said.

N said...

If you don't mind I'll just copy and paste my FB status:

Now is the time to remember those who laid down life and limb to protect us, to mourn those who died needlessly over the last 25 years, the innocents, the great leaders that we lost like Kobbekaduwa and Thiruchelvam, respect those brave but misguided people we fought against and accept that there is much to be done to heal our nation and our people

Some celebration is fine, especially for those who have lost a lot more than we have in this war...but the journey has just begun on the long hard road ahead...and now we have no excuses for our failures.

Chan said...

I feel the same. And feel something like empty.

This may be a solution for terrorism. But, what about the solution for innocent tamils in Sri Lanka? Will they get a lasting solution for their problems?

Anyway, I'm happy to see some people who feel same in SL blogosphere at a moment like this.

Anonymous said...

Maybe what bothers you is that the war is over while terrorism and the Tamil aspirations for their own land is not over.
What lies ahead in the next few months is important as I believe it will shape the future of our country for ever.
As for the celebrations, I felt as a Sri Lankan a rush of relief that terrorists don't hold the sovereignty of our country hostage anymore.
I have met and worked with members of the LTTE who were in Colombo during the peace process ages ago and also visited Killinochchi and Batticloa. They were not very nice people for whatever reason. They were terrorists who suddenly realized that holding a gun to someone's vs. verbal negotiations were a completely different ball game. Most importantly it was surprising to realize that their sermons of idealism were complete bullshit, they too were carried away with the love for power and brutality.
So when I heard that it's over and complete control over Sri Lanka is back with the SLGov I did get a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.
Yes the human loss and suffering is unbearable and unbelievable, but the LTTE had and have no place in Sri Lanka. That much is important.
So for once in our life lets forget our Sri Lankansisms of the past, lets be quietly proud and unite together to breathe a sigh of relief and look forward to a better future.
Smile. It's OK.

Anonymous said...

I think you have touched something that has been worrying a few perceptive people. Will one terror be replaced by another?

Dilly said...

i've been plagued by the same thoughts all day. glad to know i'm not the only one.